Real Madrid are in formal negotiations with Manchester City to sign wonderkid Brahim Diaz in January but as things stand there is a €10 million gap between the clubs.
Today’s front page story of Marca, the Real Madrid-linked newspaper, is dominated by news of ongoing talks between the two clubs for 19-year-old Diaz, who has decided to quit the Etihad Stadium for a return to Spain.
Real Madrid are offering €10 million (£9.1 million) to City, but the Blues rate Brahim so highly that they are demanding €20 million (£18.1 million), a high valuation considering he is out of contract at the end of June.
With a distance between the two clubs, there is still work to do and a compromise could potentially be found at around €15 million (£13.6 million) or perhaps a lower base fee with bonuses and clauses included.
Madrid are hoping to sign Brahim in January and are said to have promised that he’d be involved with the first team for the second half of the season, then a decision would be made on if he’d stick around or head out on loan to a La Liga side.
Diaz has grown frustrated at his lack of opportunities and despite scoring twice against Fulham in the Carabao Cup last month, the teenager has not been given a single minute of game time since by Pep Guardiola.
With injuries piling up, the Spain under-21 international could get some minutes tonight when City face Hoffenheim in their final Champions League Group F game, but it appears to be too little, too late in the club’s attempt to keep one of their top prospects.
Speaking at his press conference on Tuesday, even Guardiola seemed resigned to losing Diaz when discussing Phil Foden’s contract renewal.
“We wanted Jadon (Sancho) and Brahim to stay here, that was our wish,” Guardiola said, sounding like he knew Brahim was on the way out. “With Phil, we convinced him because we believe he has something unique, like Jadon and Brahim. Keep going, he will be with us for the next five or six years.”