Manchester City Fans Being Priced Out of Kit Purchases This Season

You can’t beat the new season buzz. Anticipation, excitement and the vague whiff of optimism are all prevalent as the new Premier League season kicks back into action. Manchester City fans are looking forward to seeing their side defending their title this year but despite the recent highs, fewer fans are purchasing their club’s latest kit according to a study by Betting.net.

Only 9.72% of football fans who took part in the study have already purchased their side’s new strip this season, with the remaining 90.28% opting against buying their side’s colours so far. A further 76.39% categorically confirmed that they would not be making a purchase at any point during the campaign. Club shops sell a number of items, particularly on match-days however shirt sales are a major source of revenue and it is a potentially worrying trend for top-flight clubs. Have football shirts gone out of fashion?

There are a number of factors which may have contributed to this decline, although cost is thought to be the biggest bugbear of supporters. The average cost of a Premier League kit rose to over £100 for the first time this season and a large percentage of fans simply cannot justify that outlay. 50% of City fans were put off by the price but that figure rose significantly when factoring in fans of bottom-half teams. Despite coming off the back of a title-winning campaign, 100% of City supporters surveyed said that they hadn’t purchased the new kit yet with many opting to wear shirts from previous campaigns instead. The lack of major alterations and superstition may also play some part in supporter’s decision to abstain.

50% of Manchester City fans surveyed suggested that they would be willing to pay between £31 and £40 for their club’s latest kit although the cost of an adult replica kit at the beginning of the season was over £100. Just 26.67% of Premier League supporters were willing to spend up to £50 on their club’s colours, which indicates that some teams may be out of sync with the average fan.

With costs rising in other areas of life, many fans cannot justify the expense of purchasing a brand-new kit this season and that has led to a fall in shirt sales in the Premier League. Supporters have long complained they have been priced out of the game and purchasing their club’s colours is seemingly low on the agenda for the majority fans who were surveyed.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top