Manchester City are currently in the midst of an extended break with no game until they visit Goodison Park at the end of March, the beginning of an intense and exciting period of fixtures.
With the lull in action, the City Watch Podcast changes topics this week with an emphasis on player recruitment, transfers and the press. For the fifteenth episode, we’re delighted to welcome Sam Lee of Goal on, and he is joined by host Ian Cheeseman, Adam Wareing and Matty Dove.
Topics this week include:
– The threat of a ‘lively’ welcome from Liverpool fans to the City bus at Anfield. Plus reaction to the Champions League quarter final draw.
– Assessing City’s player recruitment with a particular focus on pre-Pep Txiki Begiristain and post-Pep Txiki Begiristain, and the quality of signings.
– Sam Lee on the Alexis Sanchez, Riyad Mahrez and Fred pursuits in January. What’s happened with Fred – the noises from City is that it’s off, but why?
– Who could be the alternatives to Fred and the Tottenham player who City are basing the profile of their next ‘No. 6’ midfielder on.
– The unlikely Ligue 1 midfielder City are watching closely. Not a name widely reported.
– The chances of signing Eden Hazard from Chelsea – is there any chance and if he did arrive, where would he play?
– Are City tempted to make a game-changing marquee signing? Would Pep even want one given how he’s built this special team at City?
– Sam Lee discusses transfers, sources and the media. How things work, City’s relationship with the media, and an insight into the press conferences.