He’s entertained us for months on social media and other off-the-pitch activities, but Benjamin Mendy is finally getting close to a return to his main profession – football – after five months out with a ruptured ACL.
Mendy, City’s most expensive signing of last summer’s transfer window, only made five appearances before sustaining his injury against Crystal Palace, and he hasn’t played since September 23 of last year.
But in an interview with mancity.com, the affable 23-year-old has revealed that he is returning sooner than expected, and is targeting April’s Manchester derby for his return.
Mendy told the official site: “When I started my recovery, I had in mind the semi-finals of the Champions League.
“That was my goal, but I am coming back a bit quicker than expected originally so maybe it will be possible for me to return sooner than that. I believe in this.
“I think it’s possible for me to come back within four weeks. It’s not a good thing to come back too soon and you have to take your time.
“We will see how things go, but I am working hard and optimistic.
Could Mendy return to face United at the Etihad? He thinks so and is determined to try and make it.
“The Manchester derby is a realistic aim. That’s half clear in my mind. I really want to play that game.
“Of course, there is the World Cup on the horizon, too. For me, there is no doubt regarding the World Cup.
“After I return, it’s on me to impress; I have to make sure I come back well and to keep the rhythm. Before it was one of my targets, but now I know it will be fine.”
17:06 UPDATE: Mendy has disputed he said some of these things, despite the interview being published by City’s official site.
🤔 hummm not sure where or when I said that but … calm down guys, no rush or pressure it will take as long as I need until I’m 100% https://t.co/CRysUTXFhE
— Benjamin Mendy (@benmendy23) March 2, 2018
30% off Manchester City away kits!
Get 30% off City’s 2017/18 away kit online and instore for a limited time only!