Since our last weekly episode of the City Watch Podcast, the Blues have beaten Cardiff in the FA Cup and easily dispatched West Brom in the Premier League, with new signing Aymeric Laporte making his debut.
In some ways overshadowing the results have been the horror tackles City stars have been subjected to, with Kevin De Bruyne and Brahim Diaz among those targeted, after Leroy Sané was injured last week by a Bristol City player.
Topics this week include:
– The horror tackles City stars are now regularly on the receiving end and how referees are dealing (or not) with them.
– The influence of VAR on fouls and disallowed goals (such as Bernardo’s which would have been given with VAR). The team have varying opinions on video technology, leading to a lengthy discussion.
– Would Riyad Mahrez have been a good signing and is he the best attacking player City can buy for big money?
– Is Zinchenko better than Delph at left-back?
– Aymeric Laporte’s impressive debut and how he could put pressure on John Stones.
– Integrating the youth. Lukas Nmecha is the latest promoted to the first-team fold, but is Pep giving the likes of Brahim enough minutes?
– The brilliance, work rate and artistry of Kevin De Bruyne. Can he become City’s greatest ever player?