Shakhtar Donetsk’s all-action Brazilian midfielder Fred has emerged as Manchester City’s top candidate to replace Yaya Touré in the summer according to the latest reports.
The 24-year-old impressed for Shakhtar against City in the Champions League, but he remains a relative unknown to all but those who watch the Ukrainian Premier League regularly.
To learn more about Fred, Jordan Elgott invited Manuel Veth, owner and editor of post-Soviet football site Futbolgrad, on to the City Watch Podcast for some in-depth insight on Fred and some other players.
Talking points include:
– What sort of player is Fred? Is he similar to Fernandinho?
– Whether he is worth the €60m fee Shakhtar are likely to demand.
– Why Fred may well be better suited to City than Julian Weigl.
– Insight on Oleksandr Zinchenko and his role as a left-back – could he be converted there long-term?
– Who is Andriy Lunin, the 18-year-old Ukrainian goalkeeper City have shown interest in?
– Manuel reveals information about the RB Leipzig player he has heard City want to sign.