Match Coverage

Match Report: Manchester City u23s 4-2 Tottenham u23s – Foden inspires comeback as Nmecha bags hat-trick

Lukas Nmecha scored a second hat-trick in three games as Manchester City came from behind to beat Tottenham Hotspur 4-2 in the Premier League 2 at the Academy Stadium – with in-demand youngster Phil Foden kickstarting the emphatic turnaround.

The affair began when Brahim Diaz’s effort went just wide of Alfie Whiteman’s right post between – the best chance of the opening minutes.

A claim for a penalty on 14 minutes as Taylor Richards was brought down in the penalty area but Thomas Bramall waved away the protests.

It was the visitors that opened the scoring, with Shayon Harrison netting a brilliant left foot free-kick on 21 minutes – very much against the run of play.

If any sign of a comeback from the Blues was possible, it was made worse six minutes later when Harrisons cross from the left met Japhet Tanganga, who flicked it towards the back post for Kazaiah Sterling to head home.

The home side’s comeback began when Foden pulled one back for City with a brilliant driven shot inside the box which met the roof of the net on 33 minutes.

A chance came for City to complete the comeback as Richards hit a curling effort from a tight angle but it was parried out to safety by Whiteman.

Photo by Lynne Cameron/Getty Images

Spurs’ two chances and two goals were the only talking point for the visitors due to an overload of blues attacks – similar to the first team.

The comeback was complete five minutes after the interval when Brahim Diaz ran through the Spurs midfield and slid through Nmecha for his fourth goal in three games – with a cool first time finish.

It was more like it for the home side when Tom Dele-Bashiru was fouled on the edge of the 18-yard box. Javairo Dilrosun’s free-kick in a similar position to Harrison’s found only the Spurs stopper and not the bottom corner.

The team from North London were hanging on to the two goal stalemate as double heroic blocks from Japhet Tanganga stopped Dilrosun on his left side on the 60 minute mark.

Another penalty shout on 75 minutes was debatable as Nmecha was pulled back in the area by Tanganga, but the referee, again, wasn’t interested.

Then, eight minutes from time, City took the lead when Dilrosun’s cross found Nmecha who guided home a vintage centre-forward header for the number nine’s second of the game.

A chance for a fourth goal came calling when Diaz dribbled around Timothy Eyoma, but his weak foot effort skimmed the outside of the post from a narrow angle.

Nmecha completed his second, second half hat-trick in three games from the penalty spot it make it 4-2 on 89 minutes. City now move up to seventh, with Spurs still at the bottom of the pile.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top