News

La Liga president accuses Manchester City and PSG of creating ‘fictitious sponsors’

La Liga president Javier Tebas has resurfaced with new derogatory comments about Arab-backed clubs Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

In September, the LFP boss went on the attack with comments that seemed a direct response to Neymar leaving Barcelona for PSG (Barça president Josep Maria Bartomeu also joined in), since he failed to mention others supported by wealth (notably a host of Chinese-backed clubs).

The 55-year-old infamously said, “These clubs are laughing at the system – they have been caught peeing in the swimming pool; Neymar has peed from diving board. We can’t accept this.”

Manchester City were not best pleased by these allegations, with a club spokeswoman saying, “We note the public comments made by Mr. Tebas today and earlier this week.

“UEFA’s statement of the 4th of September is clear and based on accurate information. By contrast, Mr. Tebas’ statements are ill-informed and in parts pure fiction.

“As you would expect, Manchester City Football Club and the City Football Group are seeking appropriate legal counsel and will act accordingly on that advice.”

Meanwhile, the LFP (Ligue de Football Professionnel), France’s governing body, jumped to PSG’s defence, something The FA declined to do for City.

None of this seems to have deterred Tebas though, who spoke to L’Equipe and had new quotes published in Monday’s edition of the French newspaper.

“PSG continue to cheat economically,” Tebas insisted, continuing to denounce the Ligue 1 giants.

“As their real income does not allow them to make such investments, PSG and Manchester City have invented fictitious sponsorships, linked to States (UAE, Qatar), with amounts that do not correspond to the market price.

“We compared the income of PSG and City with those of Real Madrid, Barça, Manchester United and Bayern. They are superior.”

Tebas previously called on UEFA to take action, but the European governing body said the Blues had nothing to answer for.

In a media briefing this September, a UEFA spokesperson said, “There is no investigation into Manchester City with regards to Financial Fair Play regulations. Any reports mentioning such an investigation are unsubstantiated.”

It appears however, that the La Liga chief is still wounded over the loss of Neymar to PSG, and will continue his attacks.

The City Store is having a FLASH SALE! Get 20% off all online orders for a limited time only!

Comments
To Top