As always the Sunday papers have delivered some juicy new City gossip…
The biggest of the bunch is a Daily Star “EXCLUSIVE” (can’t forget the caps!) from Paul Hetherington. Recent reports have stated that City have moved on from their interest in Toni Kroos, but Paul has other information. Not only does he claim City’s interest remains, but also that the 26-year-old himself is privately talking about joining City after Euro 2016! The Star says a deal could be done for around £37.5 million, which would be an excellent price for one of world football’s elite midfielders. The idea would be to partner him with fellow German international Ilkay Gündoğan in a stylish new-look City midfield, with City preferring Kroos to the much more expensive Paul Pogba. This story is a bit hard to buy into, but as Fox Mulder likes to say: “I want to believe”
An interesting snippet in Sunday’s edition of The Sun with potentially big news about the future of City’s blossoming youth system. According to Alan Nixon’s column, City are making moves to appoint highly-rated coach Lee Carsley to lead the top youth teams. 42-year-old Carsley, who used to play for Everton, is looking for work after a spell in charge of Brentford and is also wanted by the FA, but City’s offer may be too good to refuse.
Sunday’s Daily Mail has its own update on Nolito, who is being persistently linked with a move to the Etihad. Celta’s sporting director said earlier that there are no offers for Nolito yet, but plenty of interest, and the Mail states that City hope to beat Barcelona for the 29-year-old’s signature. Nolito has been a primary target of Barca’s for a while, but financial problems meant a deal could not be done in January. There is opposition at Barcelona to the club spending big on a player who will be 30 in October, meaning Pep Guardiola could land the player if City make an official bid.