2015: The year that was… StatCity style!

So you’ve finished off the last of the leftover Turkey butties, and you’ve ushered in the New Year to the back drop of ‘Auld Lang Syne’ being sang by Jools Holland and his guests on the telly (in a studio recorded two weeks ago). What better way to celebrate, than to look back at Manchester City’s exploits from the year that was, 2015!

The Blues started 2015 with a 3-2 home win against Sunderland on January 1st and closed the year 51 matches later with the recent 0-0 draw against Leicester. City notched a huge 107 goals during 2015, with 79 of those coming in the Premier League (a league high – no less!).

If we take a closer look at the stats that 2015 was made up of, we can see that of the aforementioned 51 matches that City took part in, 28 of those were hosted at the Etihad Stadium (54.9%). Obviously, that means that just 23 matches in 2015 took place away from home (spare a thought for wallets of those fans in the cup scheme!).

In terms of results; Pellegrini’s side won 30 (58.82%), drew just 6 (11.76%) and lost the other 15 (29.41%) matches that they contested in 2015 in all competitions. Those results have been broken down further below:


City competed in four competitions during 2015; the Barclays Premier League, the UEFA Champions League, the FA Cup and the League Cup.

Concentrating on the Premier League firstly, the Blues played 38 matches during 2015, winning 22 (57.89%), drawing 6 (15.78%) and losing 10 (26.31%). City scored more Premier League goals than any other team during 2015 with their haul of 79, an impressive rate of 2.07 goals per game! The Blues scored 56 of their 79 Premier League goals at the Etihad Stadium (70.88%) with the remaining 23 obviously being netted away (29.11%) from the Etihad Campus. At the other end of the pitch, City kept 15 clean sheets (39.47%) and only failed to score themselves on 6 occasions (15.78%).

City had mixed fortunes in the UEFA Champions League during 2015, having played 8 matches. The Blues won 4 (50.00%) and lost 4 (50.00%) of those games. The club scored 13 goals in Europe’s elite competition during 2015 (1.6 gpg), but failed to keep a single clean sheet during that run.

The FA Cup was somewhat of a bleak affair for the Citizens in 2015; only being afforded the opportunity to contest two matches (both against Championship opposition in Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesbrough respectively). The Blues scored 2 goals and conceded 3 in those matches, with both games being hosted at the Etihad Stadium.

City can boast a 100% win percentage in League Cup matches staged during 2015. Pellegrini’s men have despatched Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Hull City on their way to securing a semi-final showdown against Everton in the New Year. The Blues scored an impressive 13 goals during their 3 League Cup matches in 2015 (4.3 gpg) and conceded just 3 goals (1 in each match).

This means City didn’t manage to keep a single clean sheet in cup games throughout the duration of 2015.

Below is a snapshot of City’s 2015 by competition:


In terms of players used in 2015, the Blues utilised 30 different players during the last calendar year, with 8 of those making their debuts for the club. A further 11 players were named on the bench but were unused substitutes. The player with the most appearances during 2015 was Fernandinho who represented the club on an unparalleled 46 occasions. Unsurpisingly, Sergio Aguero was City’s leading goalscorer with 22 of his goals coming in 2015.

Below is a list of every player who appeared in a first team shirt for Manchester City during 2015:


Keep a look out for more detailed stats from StatCity on the City Watch website in the coming months.

Happy New Year!

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top