News

Club president confirms Man City bid is the ‘only offer on the table’ for midfield sensation

It was reported last Wednesday that Manchester City had made a ‘formal offer’ for promising Venezuelan holding midfielder Yangel Herrera.

Few will have heard of the player, who is currently impressing for his country at the 2017 South American Youth Football Championship, but he is said to be one of the continent’s most promising midfielders, which has alerted City and Benfica scouts.

And the club president of Atlético Venezuela, Rubén Villavicencio, has since confirmed that an offer has arrived from the group that manages Manchester City, possibly referring to the City Football Group entity.

Villavicencio said of the approach from City, “Yes, it’s the only offer on the table.” He was quick to add, however, that nothing had been decided yet, saying, “A decision will be made after the tournament (South American Youth Championship) and will be one that suits the player.”

At 19 years of age and having only played in his homeland, Herrera would very much be one for the future if he was signed, with the likelihood being that he’d be loaned out to a European club or possibly sent to New York City FC for experience.

The South American Youth Football Championship ends on 11 February, meaning if Manchester City do eventually sign him, it can’t be until next summer because of the transfer window closing today.

Comments
To Top